> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Consumer Law > My uncle wants to keep $7400 given from me and take the car back to sell it. I paid in cash, how can I get my money back?

My uncle wants to keep $7400 given from me and take the car back to sell it. I paid in cash, how can I get my money back?

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 17th, 2016 on Consumer Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
The title is under my mom's name. It is also uninsured at the moment. Nothing was documented except what was said through text. It is a 2013 Mini Cooper S 2D with a salvage title. It had 29,800 miles on it when he gave it to me. One moment he says he'll give me back my money, the next, he refuses. We made a verbal agreement of me paying him $12,000, but as time went on, he said he didn't want to deal with me anymore and demanded I give him the key back and he'd give me my money back. Of course my mother is on his side. I'm stuck in a bind and he took every last cent from me. I just don't know what to do. Please help me.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 20th, 2016 at 4:52 AM

In the future, have a written contract and pay by check so that you have a written record and written contract. You are now in a situation where all the 'facts' are verbal. You could go to Small Claims Court and present witnesses. Ed Dimon

Report Abuse
Consumer Law
Most--but not all--businesses act ethically and honestly. If a company fails to honor a product's warranty, or is violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or refuses to replace a defective product under state lemon laws, you may need a strong advocate on your side. An attorney whose practice focuses on consumer law can work tirelessly to see that you are treated fairly and afforded all of the consumer rights and protections afforded to you under state and federal laws.
Have an Consumer Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

341 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

250 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

190 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Ms. Maryellen Sullivan, Esq.

Attorney - Maine

155 Answers, 4 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

144 Answers, 22 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

139 Answers, 36 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

86 Answers, 14 Legal Topics

Consumer Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP

Los Angeles, CA

| Contact Now

Fellows Hymowitz P.C.

New City, NY

| Contact Now

Cooper Law Offices, PLLC

Bridgeport, WV

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums